Skip to main content

Developing at all costs



















These words were inspired by a recent touchline conversation I had with an opposition coach. It was so weird it started me thinking, has the pernicious "win at all costs" approach been replaced by a "develop at all costs" approach?


Let me try and set the scene:

Its a blustery Saturday morning about 10:30 am at my home pitch on the Fylde coast.

The under 9's are engaged in a very competitive, close encounter and the score is 2:2.

Stood 3 metres away is the opposition coach bellowing out commandments to his team. Few, if any are responding and he seems to be getting more and more frustrated. He asks if he can leave his area and stand level with his back line and coach them mechanically.

"Matt, two yards back. Joe, five to your left and watch their number 7"

Matt and Joe, start to follow his every word. Until, one of my team breaks through directly on goal with just Matt and Joe in the way. He bears down on goal and both defenders move towards him to engage. My player knocks it past them both and sprints in on goal, the keeper stays on his line so my guy knocks it calmly into the corner.

Now, I know what you're thinking, where was the communication, why didn't one of them engage and one drop off?

This is also what the opposition coach thought and boy did he make it clear. Not to his players, well not immediately. No, he made it clear to me.

He made it clear he'd told them this a thousand times, that he'd coached it lots of different ways and he'd even showed them videos of what they should have done. I stood, open mouthed wondering what he wanted me to say.

Thankfully, he turned away and continued to bark his coaching instructions before taking Joe and Matt off and making it clear it was because they'd, in his eyes, made a mistake.

This as I've said, got me thinking. Was he concerned about the score, or was it his coaching he was worried about?

We all have an ego. The "win at all costs" approach is driven by the ego. It's created by our own desire for achievement to, in turn, create self worth.

It's good that these days this approach is reducing. By no means disappearing but definitely reducing. However, our ego is still there. Pecking away and looking for ways to make us feel good or bad about ourselves. So, has win at all costs really started to disappear or has it been replaced by a desire to look like a brilliant coach?

It's easily argued that one approach is more desirable than the other but is the outcome any different? In both approaches the child is experiencing the adult's wants, needs and desires. Adult expectations, whether its to win or to play as they've been coached are just as damaging.

I give instructions from the sideline, but I have limited expectations of them and I am trying to reduce them all the time. However, I still feel the burden that maybe the parents are expecting more. Something else.

As coaches, we all feel like we should be able to influence the game. We see our counterparts on TV prowling the technical areas and yelling orders incessantly. Yet we wont accept this from parents.

We feel that their input, however correct or useful it may be at any given time is not required. Again, I feel this could be our ego being hurt. We want our instructions to be heard, our skills to be valued.

The very same coach told me he'd never heard any single parent, anywhere shout anything of worth yet I know that two years ago he was one of these parents and he always gave his pennyworth.

Where this leads me to is this. The game is not the ideal time for coaching. The kids want to play and the coach is not really in any position to initiate learning. Bring kids off by all means and coach then or let them watch to learn but yelling our expectations or suggestions is probably not helpful.

I'm going to try to be quiet, to take notes for half time or coaching sessions and enjoy what's going on

Our ego can't really be left at home but we can find ways of shutting it up.





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Futsal and Youth Development

Futsal and Youth Football I've hesitated in writing this for a few months now but after spending sometime mulling the subject over, I thought I'd bite the bullet and suffer the flak that will inevitably find itself my way. Twitter is my University of choice. It's where I find ideas and swap opinions with like minded fellow Football Coaches. It's amazing, I am constantly surprised at the level of resources out there and more importantly the generosity of many of the people I come across. It's also chock full of people determined to see every exchange as a battle that must be won. This is why I've hesitated. For months now I've been engaged in exchanges about Futsal and in particular why it's a great development tool. Throughout these discussions, I've asked one simple question: Why? Now some have taken this innocuous enquiry at face value and tried to explain the reasons why they feel it works so well, some have just trotted well us

Coaching For The Brave

Over the years football has become more and more commercial. At its highest levels the game is now so professional and scientific it bears little resemblance to that played just a generation ago. This has brought great benefits for players, supporters and TV audiences around the world. A whole industry has erupted to support the game, spawning Directors of Football, Sports Psychologists, Performance Analysts and even Sleep Advisers. Clubs have poured millions into Elite Academies for those identified as having a chance of reaching the top and reaping the rewards. Young Starlets that graduate from these Centres of Excellence are paid thousands of pounds per week despite never having done anything of merit in the game. Coaches are trained and can't wait to get into the talent factories as a "first step on the rung" to a dream full time job with a club. Kids as young as nine and ten have a Golden ticket dangled in front of them and doting, eager parents hapi

Now THAT's a Rondo!

I've seen a quote that says "The whole of the game is present in Rondos" I'm not sure about this but since discovering them I have come to see them as an important tool for youth development. However, when I talk to other coaches I sometimes get the idea that they are misunderstood.  Opinions tend to vary from " Ah, the secret weapon of Barcelona " to " Piggy in the middle? " I certainly found that lot's of coaches I know use what they call a Rondo as some kind of warm up before sessions or games start and my own 9 year olds saw it as just a bit of fun when I introduced them to it. The problem is, the Rondo is so much more and can be used in many different ways. After asking my players what they thought about Rondos I decided I needed to reintroduce them and highlight their effectiveness in a new way. Below is a description of how I did this in a recent session. We've probably all seen this set up and this 4v2 exercise is how